Here are a few reasons I don’t find this ad to be particularly effective, in no particular order:
- It’s ugly and yellow.
- It’s poorly designed.
- The image and the headline don’t tell the reader what the ad is about.
- Dirty roots on a plate are off-putting.
- The typeface used in the headline doesn’t work in the ad.
- The headline doesn’t mean anything.
- The copy is written in marketing-speak.
- The sentences in the copy are too long, including a 3-line run on sentence.
- The second sentence is a phrase.
- After reading the copy, I’m still not sure what it is that Johnson Controls actually does.
By Marc Librescu